Family-to-Family is a free 8-week educational course designed specifically for adult family members (18+) and others who have adult loved ones (18+) with a mental illness.
The course is taught by other family members who have received intensive training for its presentation.
Over 300,000 family members have graduated from this evidence based national program.
If family members are in crisis and feel the need for support, we would encourage them to attend one of our Family Support Groups before taking the Family-to-Family educational course.
- Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, PTSD, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence
- Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery
- Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness
- Learning in special workshops for problem solving, listening, and communication techniques
- Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services
The 2-1/2 hour class meets for 8 consecutive sessions, and each session’s topic builds on the previous topics. Therefore, it is important that participants try to attend each class. For more information about NAMI’s Signature Family-to-Family class visit nami.org.
“[The course] was a revelation. It was the most beneficial time I believe I have ever spent. . . .
I began to understand what might be going on inside our son, not just what I was feeling. My anger
finally gave way to compassion. I discovered ways to deal with stigma. . . . Take the Family-to-Family Course. It will change your lives.”
– Family to Family Participant
“The course was wonderful. As the daughter of a parent with mental illness, and as a psychiatrist,
the Family-to-Family course is much more valuable than I could have ever imagined.
– Psychiatrist, Family to Family Participant
“Before Family-to-Family, we were afraid, overwhelmed, and ill-equipped to manage this
crisis unfolding in our home, in spite of the fact that my husband is a physician and I am an RN.”
– Family to Family Participant
“[This course] has provided our family with information and strategies to cope with our son in our
home and truly understand mental illness and all the facets encompassing living with,
emotionally supporting, and advocating for our son.”
– DuPage County mother and father, Family to Family Participants
(Participants can register for a class up to the 2rd session/week of a class)
7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
|Family to Family - October 21, 2020 to December 16, 2020 (Skipping 11/25/2020) - Zoom|
NAMI Homefront is a free, 6-session educational program for families, caregivers and friends of military service members and veterans with mental health conditions.
Based on the nationally recognized NAMI Family-to-Family program. The program is taught by trained family members of service members/veterans with mental health conditions.
NAMI Homefront teaches you how to:
- Learn to care for yourself, including managing your stress
- Support your family member with compassion
- Identify and access federal, state and local services
- Stay informed on the latest research and information on mental health, including post-traumatic stress disorder, traumatic brain injury, anxiety, depression and substance use
- Understand current treatments and evidence-based therapies
- Navigate the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on the entire family
- Manage a crisis, solve problems and communicate effectively
Classes Coming Soon
If you are interested, please fill out this form and we will send you the registration form as they are scheduled.
For more information on our Education Programs please contact Audrey Burris at firstname.lastname@example.org