In respect to recommendations by the CDC due to COVID-19 NAMI DuPage is canceling ALL classes through May 1st.
NAMI Basics OnDemand
NAMI Basics OnDemand is a free, six-session online education program for parents, caregivers and other families who provide care for Youth aged 22 or younger who are experiencing mental health symptoms.
Family-to-Family is a free 12-week educational course designed specifically for adult family members (18+) and others who have adult loved ones (18+) with a mental illness. The course is taught by other family members who have received intensive training for its presentation. Over 300,000 family members have graduated from this evidence based national program. If family members are in crisis and feel the need for support, we would encourage them to attend one of our Family Support Groups before taking the Family-to-Family educational course.
- Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, PTSD, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence
- Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery
- Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness
- Learning in special workshops for problem solving, listening, and communication techniques
- Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services
The 2-1/2 hour class meets for 12 consecutive sessions, and each session’s topic builds on the previous topics. Therefore, it is important that participants try to attend each class. For more information about NAMI’s Signature Family-to-Family class visit nami.org.
“[The course] was a revelation. It was the most beneficial time I believe I have ever spent. . . .
I began to understand what might be going on inside our son, not just what I was feeling. My anger
finally gave way to compassion. I discovered ways to deal with stigma. . . . Take the Family-to-Family Course. It will change your lives.”
– Family to Family Participant
“The course was wonderful. As the daughter of a parent with mental illness, and as a psychiatrist,
the Family-to-Family course is much more valuable than I could have ever imagined.
– Psychiatrist, Family to Family Participant
“Before Family-to-Family, we were afraid, overwhelmed, and ill-equipped to manage this
crisis unfolding in our home, in spite of the fact that my husband is a physician and I am an RN.”
– Family to Family Participant
“[This course] has provided our family with information and strategies to cope with our son in our
home and truly understand mental illness and all the facets encompassing living with,
emotionally supporting, and advocating for our son.”
– DuPage County mother and father, Family to Family Participants